Dealing with TMJ Disorder
Your treatment options for TMD (TMJ)
are a group of problems that cause pain
and poor function in the jaw joint and the muscles responsible for jaw movement. They’re also called TMD, or TMJ (short for temporomandibular joint) disorders.
Signs of Trouble
When symptoms of TMD surface, they might include:
- Pain in the chewing muscles or jaw joint
- Pain in the jaw, neck, or face
- Stiff jaw muscles
- A jaw that locks or has limited movement
- Painful clicking, popping, or grating in the jaw joint
- Changes in the fit between upper and lower teeth
TMD may affect more than 10 million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Women are affected more often than men.